Sunday, January 22, 2017

Weird Old Omani "snacks": when your Omani husband thinks a craving for dill pickle flavoured potatoe chips is odd but likes to eat locusts

Now the tourism ministry in Oman definitely doesn't promote this, but Oman totally does have weird snacks, depending on the region. You will likely never be offered these as an expat in Oman, except as a joke but...

I was telling my husband, that I kind of miss different potatoe chip flavours from back home, like 'barbecue" and "dill pickle". He thought that dill pickle potatoe chips sounded disgusting. However, my husband does miss an old Interior/Dhakliyia snack of roasted locusts. Apparently.

Yes, you heard me. Roasted locusts.

Mmmm. Yum. So much less weird than any flavour of potatoe chips, right?
Not.

In the Interior they also used to cook/roast up this bug:
...which my interior-region husband doesn't miss.

For which, I am glad.

Along the coast here in Muscat and Al Batinah, dried lemon flavoured sardines were an old-time favourite, which always made me want to retch.

I buy them...but for my cats.

But it does get weirder...
In the desert (Sharqiyah, Al Wusta, Bedu areas etc.) there's this lizard (Dhab/Spiny Tail Lizard/Uromastyx Microlepis) that people eat. Usually with biryani rice these days. Looks like this:
I've been offered it...

Yeah. Tastes bad to me.

...But still better than the idea of locusts or bugs... I dunno. Maybe chocolate covered locusts would be fine. But like, dried lemon and chili flavoured-roasted locusts? Probably couldn't swallow it even to be polite.

Like the tongue or any brain part of an Eid shuwa. I can put it in my mouth. Chew. Smile...

...First chance I get I spit it out and dispose of it. Toddlers are awesome. They usually love 'tongue'.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once heard about eating those little wadi-fish too. Any info on those?
J

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anon J: No idea...you mean the ones that eat the dead skin cells off your feet? Interesting...

Paloma Martin said...

It is interesting to know the unknown gastronomy of Oman

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Paloma: I thought it might be;). Every time my husband mentioned his longing for the locust kebabs of his childhood, I was like, I gotta post this eventually, along with the lizards!

Anonymous said...

I've found a small article about the different fishes present in wadis (Although this concerns the UAE). One sentence about them being caught and eaten. There may be more references online though, but I haven't found proper articles (let alone a recipe :P).
https://www.uaeinteract.com/uaeint_misc/teanh/022fwfi.pdf
Kind regards,
J