Tuesday, September 6, 2016

THE HOUSE UPDATE: DIY project, paint the fireplace_done

So... if you've been following our house building project, you'll know that painting this brand new electric faux-fireplace's mantle was on my to-do list. ...And as rarely as I'd advocate painting new wooden furniture in Oman (where it is disasterously overpriced) when you can't buy the colour you need, I make the exception.
 
This piece of furniture was from Pan Emirates. I loved the size and height of it for my faux-English living room. (Omani husband voted for European design so forgive---I wanted a chance to flex my Arabian decor muscle too). ...And I am a Canadian girl just a little bit still...
 
...A home is just not a home without a fireplace for friends and seating to be arranged about. What else do you sit by to have a tea, or make polite conversation around? (Having the TV on is still rude to me but flames give something for people with nothing to say to stare at).
 
While I haven't had the budget required to go truly 100% architecturally correct for English style (I need stair runners, and more art, and built-in bookcases, and more gyps---but less than Arabs generally believe they need for a European look) I wouldn't forgo the fireplace.
 
...But it had to fit into/with our moulding/gypsum chair-railing, so it became a painting project.
 
1.) I wiped the fireplace down from dust before painting with baby wipes. You can use a wet sponge and dish towel too then let it dry but I was lazy.
 
2.) I used National Paint brand wood primer, which I was very careful to apply in smooth one-directional brush strokes. I used 1 paint brush for each coat, because I love National's lack of long lasting scent but hate their difficulty to stir-ness;). I find changing brushes makes smoother  coats. ...And Jotun primer just seems to take forever to dry on wood or mdf paint projects. I can do 2 coats National primer in one evening and be done with it.
 
3.) Before applying the second coat of primer I checked to make sure the first coat was 100% dry (it was after 2 hours). I also picked off and smoothed (sand if you must) lightly any drips I'd missed. Then, using the same method in step 2.) I added the second coat.
 
4.) The next day I did one coat of Jotun classic white matte interior paint (the same paint I used for all our villa's mouldings/gyps and ceilings). I used a wider brush for the paint to reduce strokes required, and did details with a stiffer bristled smaller brush. I let this dry 24 hours. muscat is humid.
 
5.)  The next day I did the second coat, same method a step #4. Then it was done.
 
National wood primer is much cheaper than Jotun, and works better for my purposes. For brushes I spent 4 omr. For primer I think less than 5 omr (I bought other paints that day so it was less but how much so I cannot recall). I already had the Jotun (non-oil) matte interior paint (cheapest kind) in Classic White. I am happy with how it turned out, and it blends with the rest of the room. People in general assume we spent way more money on the living room than we did. It was one of the cheaper rooms decor-wise, beyond furniture, and I think I still did buy less furniture than Omanis do for their guest-sitting room. I have 4 side chairs however, that require painting and re-upholstery, and I am still waiting for a curtain to be delivered, before this room's look to be finished off enough to show it off to y'all, so stay tuned.
 
...Chairs were used, 4-6 omr each. Awesome yes?
 
However, I have a new baby and I am back to work, so you may be waiting more than a month or two for that;).