Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Qarankasho 2016

I totally forgot last night when I stumbled out the front door to open the gate when I heard the doorbell, that it was the start of Garankasho (or Girgian if you live elsewhere in the Gulf)...Which means the 13, 14, and 15th days of Ramadan. I was confronted by a party of six ridiculously cute Omani kids in traditional dress singing at me in Arabic (whatever that traditional Garankasho song is). They then held their bags and baskets out to me for candies and toys (or cash). None of which I had. Thankkfully my neighbor loaded them up.

Now I know why the candy and chips lines were so busy the other day.

....Oman's Grand Mufti issued a fatwa against practicing Garakasho (which is kinda like a 3-day halloween but in traditional Gulf dress but for Khaleeji kids) as it is not an Islamic holiday (and like Halloween in the west, people kidnap kids, or hurt them, and Khaleeji parents seem to be a bit lax on stranger danger...

He also insists the holiday isn't originally Omani which I totally agree with. I think it came to Oman via Kuwait and Bahrain when a bunch of Omanis had gone there to work in days before oil.

As far as I know it has none of the Pagan cannotations of Halloween, so I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of cute kids in Gulf dress with palm baskets loaded with candy, but then, I don't know where Girgian came from in Kuwait and Bahrain either...

Anyways, until I know better, I think it is kind of cute...

No comments: