Monday, April 18, 2016

House Update: Will we finish by the end of this month or no?

So, the kitchens are installed (granite will come.... inshaAllah... at the end of the week). All doors and windows are in, finally. The stairs and halls are painted.

...The dark English racing green I chose for my own home is scaring Omani in-laws because they don't understand the concept of art on the walls, and deeply layered masculine spaces. Villa #1's neutral palette, however, is pleasing everyone. They love the grey-ish beiges, the white trims, the white doors (do you know how hard it is to sell Omanis on white doors in general if they are not doing a modern 100% glossy home?). But a white door will brighten a home over a wood door if light and airy is what one truly desires.
The rest of my house is so bloody light and feminine I had to do something much more Victorian-girl for myself. A dark green was my solution. While I'd love portrait-gallery worthy red, I don't think anyone but me would ever accept such a space.  My hall lights are brass. My stair railing is brass (it was supposed to be black wrought iron but whatever, I am trying to be flexible and not freak out on every single person working for us every day). Still, despite showing them concepts of, say, Ralph Lauren stores and restaurants where the same colour scheme is used (without windows might I add), I showed my man my paint chip, and he was like, "ugh that's dark it's going to be so dark".
...My husband, however, has been sold on the idea because I told him I will allow him to purchase more antique rifles if he agrees to hang them on the walls in the hall;). If he can have rifles that may not even shoot anymore, I can have my paint. Since seeing it however, he loves it. He gets what I mean, with the white trim, and eventual art and like, even beduoin textiles and swords and stuff we can hang. Thank goodness he's traveled to, like country houses in Ireland, and seen a castle in France, to get what I mean in terms of possibilities. It IS dark, but it is meant to HIGHLIGHT other stuff.
...All bedrooms except for one (I have to buy the paint today---a dark-ish gold-ish neutral I am thinking of) are painted. The living room in villa 2 is supposed to get its gyps finished today (inshaallah) and THEN it can be painted.Villa #1's gyps needs to be clad in decorative stone. Today, tomorrow, by the end of the week...

...I fired my last gyps guy. He was a screw up every hour or so, and soooooooooo impossibly slow at fixing mistakes that I freaked out over an unrelated Baladiyia/Muscat Municipalities issue regarding the front wall height requirements/electricity box/gate(s). I literally broke down into tears in my office. A neighboring professor tried to cheer me up by asking me about 300 year old English novels. So.... new gyps company is supposed to finish today. Old gyps company still had work to finish that we already paid for in villa 1 and they are almost done (they screwed up there too, but again, trying to finish on time, we said we could live with it).

... The Baladiyia/Muscat Municipalities issue regarding the front wall height requirements/electricity box/gate(s) is driving me insane. First, they are like, you need your floorplan to fit a car inside the wall of your home. Thus a gate. So we make pillars to support a gate (at the right height and width to accommodate the required flood height for the electric box etc.. Then they are like, you can close the wall, and park outside (its cheaper technically then getting a gate). But of course, then I need to use my yard gate, as a front house gate, and we already put the pillars, and the poor engineer has to either knock two down, or or make two more, to put the smaller entry gate and not have it look ugly (ugly will make me freak out). -

---Also the gas piping. Will we or will we not get a fine from the ROP for painting it? No one knows really. I can't see the ROP driving around fining people for painting gas piping, but however, for safety reasons, can't I just tag it (same colour and written warning) and still paint it? So it looks less ghastly but still, should someone want to cut it for some reason, they won't blow themselves up, since they'll see the warning and coloured gas designation tape on different points???? And If I sell it, I can paint it back the ghastly colour just in case the new owners aren't as caring about not blowing up their hired help as I think that I am? That is a story to-be-continued.

Also windows and doors company apparently will start to fix my stairs railing as soon as the paint is dry. They are a Mabaila company and good so far. Last company (Al Hail) never did anything but took our money. The owner (Omani) is trying to pay back clients since his actual workers (Turkish) were only giving him a percentage and were taking the rest (common business practice in Oman) but they never did any of the work they took (large) deposits on, and have since run away to Turkey with the money that the Omani owner is now struggling to pay back. I feel bad for the owner, but I don't think you should own a business you don't have a hand in running. I am still mad we're about a month late just because of windows fixing. Also dealing with consumer protection is always an extra effort. At least it's there....

So to do... front entry stairs, front wall (?), paint for two rooms, gyps completion (today inshaAllah), granite installation+hob+kitchen sink by the end of this week, paint trims, paint exterior wall, install lighting, get water and electricity hook-up...gravel the drive... I THINK that is it... not sure. But I think so. Plus hang a lot of stuff (shelves, racks, mirrors, TVs, ACs). Can we finish by the end of this month? .

...Knowing Oman I sorely doubt it.

No comments: