Monday, February 29, 2016

HOUSE UPDATE: Windows are in, doors are on, and everything is swinging

So the house is doing well now (now that we have hired a second separate company to install our windows---other company will be sued via consumer protection). The doors and their frames are in place, the stone façade people can now correctly frame the exterior windows. It is starting to look like a house. Only the ground floors still require tiling/grouting. They've been plumbed and wired.
Design-wise, most decisions have already been made beyond paint color purchases, and the front wall....Got to get on that. We kind of like the idea of the wall of the above pictured villa. Although my husband wants the iron to be turquoise, and if he wants that I insist the shutter and door colours be a bit lighter.... also that the wall be lower in my front.
Before thinking of that, I was distracting myself with my 4 year old daughter's room. She envisions for herself, a room that is totally pink. Alas, not my favorite, but it is her room. As mentioned before, we bought her a used bedroom set in cream for just under 150 omr (King size bed, six door wardrobe). I didn't really budget much for her lighting. She had a budget of  60 omr, and everything we liked was 80 at least. It was frustrating.
I recently found a pair of used chandeliers for my daughter's bedroom. She really wanted these white chandeliers with pink porcelain roses she saw on our travels. So, for 6 omr for two chandeliers, and 1.5 omr for spray paint, and 1 day project DIY, she got her new room lights. I still need to drill some holes for the crystals, but that's a project for later... too much to do these days. But we did buy her new duvet (just got to remember she needs a quilt still and some shams, and a fitted sheet). With the money saved on the bedroom set and the lighting I intend to build her a doll house. I just need the time for that....
 The new bedding, with what will be a pink wall colour, and the cream of the bedroom set, it shall all be as princess-ey as she hopes, inshaAllah.
Another decision I can't seem to make is for the living room seating. I know I want a three-seater (with a console table arranged behind it which I already purchased)
and a two-seater that matches, and I was thinking, maybe, to do sofa in wicker or rattan or something? I am not sure yet... but I just haven't found the fabrics I desire or the designs I want in my price range and it is driving me nuts. I was thinking that option would give me a bit of a colonial vibe and, when I can afford or find the magical pieces, the wicker can go outside (where it belongs). The room will still be yellow, the flooring the same colour as the console... But I am so unsure... it is still early, but this is a conundrum I am currently facing. Not the worst of life's problems surely... but an issue. Any thoughts?

5 comments:

Rebecca Zuraiqi said...

Does the last photo (of the couch) happen to be a store in Muscat!?

Rebecca Zuraiqi said...

Does the last photo (of the couch) happen to be a store in Muscat!?

Rebecca Zuraiqi said...

Does the last photo (of the couch) happen to be a store in Muscat!?

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Rebecca: Yes... at least it was when I took the photo months ago (Pan Emirates Furniture in Al Hail, Seeb. I got the coffee table and side tables that went with that couch;) but not the couch... ;)

Sal Bos said...

i love the light for your daughters room,,, nice so nice,,,