Sunday, January 24, 2016

MY STYLE: San Francisco, what I'd wear

One thing about being a born West Coast girl, is of course, California road trips. ...And San Francisco was always a stop for me. Golden gate cruise, riding the carousel at Pier 39, talking about the cost of rent on Russian row, jumping the trolley for Lombard street selfies, and just admiring the architecture in the Palace of Fine Arts... San Francisco is the perfect city to be a tourist. They also have a lot of halal schwarma joints;).

So when Fairmont Hotels asked me if I'd like to blog about what I'd wear for a romantic weekend at their San Francisco Hotel, I was excited. To me San Francisco was always carefree blue jeans with beige blazers and vintage emerald earrings, or gingham shirts and white capris with wedges... with the glam of a vintage Chanel handbag. But I actually haven't been back since I became a Muslim... so I loved the idea of a challenge to make the perfect modest wardrobe for a San Francisco weekend. Afterall, it is a place on my list to one day show to my Omani husband. So if he and I went to San Fran for the weekend... and got to stay at the Fairmont hotel?
 Well, in a hotel room as lovely as those in the Fairmont, I wouldn't exactly wear an abaya;). To just stay in my hotel room, I'd either like to look super chic in a Christopher Kane dress, Isabel Marrant jewelry, and Manolo Blahnik heels...or relax in my silk pajamas and gingham slippers.
 If we had tea in the hotel's Laurel Court, I'd wear a Louis Vuitton pashmina as a hijab, an Inayah collection dress, Charlotte Olympia sandals, and wear a super cute vintage style box clutch, preferably something slightly deco in pattern. If tea in the Laurel Court is like tea in Victoria's Fairmont hotel (the Empress) I'll probably enjoy myself. Both cities were Gold Rush towns, and hotels like the Fairmont(s) have long and interesting histories.
Another thing I love about Fairmont hotels? They seem to attract oddly interesting people as guests. Or I do. I don't know. But if by some crazy chance I happened to befriend whoever is staying in the hotel penthouse (because I probably wouldn't be staying there on my budget;) ), I'd wear a dream wardrobe of an open front abaya (sheer) over 2014 Ramy Kadi couture gown, and carry my Sofia Al Asfoor handbag and Dolce and Gabanna tasselled clutch with vintage emeralds poking out of my black shayla, and vintage gold shoes on those lovely turquoise tiles....To play billiards (and lose stylishly) of course. A girl can daydream, when it comes to dream vacation wardrobes anyways. I suck at pool, so I know I'd lose.
And of course, I would wear a crazy ammount of jewels and over accessorize a mundanely simple get-up to visit my favourite painting in the Legion of Honor Museum, and enjoy my husband's first experience of the place. To me that would be the perfect romantic day... plus a trip to China town for some dim sum... and then this little Japanese restaurant I know for tea. Then back to my apparently luxe hotel room to relax and enjoy the view... San Francisco is spectacular at night (make sure you have a camera that can capture the lights).

No comments: