Tuesday, October 20, 2015

VOTING IN OMAN equals a sick day???

Apparently my husband is taking a full day off from work to vote during the Shura council elections. He will drive the two-and-a-half-hours to his village to vote, and then drive two-and-a-half hours back. He's not one of those people who'll hang out there;) at the voting stations I am sure.

Dhofari Gucci just wrote a post [ http://dhofarigucci.blogspot.com/2015/10/upcoming-elections-and-other-tidbits.html ] about election timings, and job accountability, and how people take the whole day off of work to vote...

If you live where my husband lives and you are ONLY allowed to vote in your willayat or bilad (township/village) then that would makes sense for some people, having to take the whole day off, but if that IS how the whole voting thing works, that's a little BC (before Christ), as in like, when the Bible says Joseph and Mary had to go to Betheleham to get a Roman census taken.... I honestly don't know how it works... but I mean, people who work in Muscat should still be able to vote for their region in Muscat... can't they?

I mean, I can vote in the Federal Canadian elections even from Oman.... so a region in Oman should be able to manage a district/regional style voting for candidates in other regions... right?

Anyways, I'll have to look that up. I honestly have no idea. I don't like driving over four hours for voting for some kind of accomplish-nothing-much-but-bide-our-time-until-we're-smart-enough-for-a-real-democracy-kind-of-council thingey anyways... Sorry Shura. No offense is meant.

And going to village means having lunch, and then sleep, then dinner, then qhahwa, so it'll be soooooo late when we escape back to Muscat, with some serriously grouchy and serriously tired kiddos in the car. Awesome.

I know, I could, like, watch that new movie about the women's suffrage movement, or, like, a lot of films about old South Africa, and then maybe I'd feel a bit sheepish about bemoaning a 4 hour drive just to vote...;) when in Oman it is so comfy most folks get a full paid day of work to manage it;).

No comments: