Thursday, August 27, 2015

KHALEEJI ABAYAS: coloured abayas

I know I am a little behind trend but I finally made some time to go fabric shopping and to a tailor. I have ordered my first Khaleeji-cut abaya in colour.

Not just patterned or panelled with colour, but 100% colour!

I chose beige because my Omani husband won't try to forbid me outright from wearing beige in Oman... Slowly we go...

My SIL is already doing it, so why not me? I figured, although it was one of the things my husband MADE me promise to not do BEFORE we got married (I hate when people try to change something they already knew about one AFTER you get married so I asked for a list---too bad he forgot red lipstick and wearing my earrings sticking out of scarves and stuff) and I promised I'd never wear a bright pink abaya in his village... He was less specific about navy and beige however so.... So we'll see how that goes.

I also got a couple black with coloured patterns ones made up.

Fingers crossed---I hope the tailor doesn't trash them... He's a new-to-me tailor, near the fruit-and-vegatable souq in Mabaila. My SIL swears he's good but he only charged me, like 13 OMR to make 3 abayas (though he charged me 3 omr per shayla since he used his own fabric for that), so I hope he's as good as she says, since the fabric was a lot more than that...

I've had some bad experiences with tailors as of late, when other SILs were like "oh he only charges 3 omr to make a dress... and the fabric was of course 20 or more, and then the dress is so bloody horrible I have to give it away, thanks Rustaq dude. You amazed even me, who thought no one could do worse than the guy who made my eid dress a few years back in Barka.

I usually have good luck with abaya tailors but they charge more, usually...

So we'll see.
If going for a gradual move to coloured abays, a front open style with black wide-leg+tunic combo or black maxi dress can help ease a girl out of her comfort zone...
Love the simplicity of this look!

5 comments:

Oum Adam said...

Lovely, maa shaa Allah! Will you post a pic of yours when it`s finished? :-)

Here in Qatar it`s still all black. A lot of bright white embroidery though, also beige and I do see some abaya`s here partly in a different color (mostly beige or grey) and very rarely have I seen a partly pink/navy one, but that`s really exceptional!

The abaya`s in the pics however do look great!

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Oum Adam: I will try to:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, where are you getting abayas stitched for 3 omr?! Plz share :)

Btw from the U.S., Came across your blog via Google search. In Muscat for a few months.

Julianna said...

Can i buy any of these abayas

ieasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.