Monday, July 6, 2015

Cross-Cultural Marriages: Born-Muslim versus Became-Muslim Ramadan Mornings

If you are a born Muslim, you break your fast with dates. Generally speaking, dates, or dates, either dried or fresh. Maybe water. If you are a revert (Western---not all I am sure but this is true enough to make me laugh) we prefer stuff other than dates. I don't really care if the sunnah WAS dates. I fasted. Or I am going to fast. Dates aren't gonna cut it for me. I don't like them THAT much. When I am fasting, I am never ever like, oh I miss, a date.

My Omani husband has to have dates before the first fajr morning prayer is called.

I have to have a. a mug of coffee + b. eggs + c. toast. At least. I'd be okay with french toast or waffles if someone would get up early enough to make those for me;). I often settle for toast and water.

5 comments:

Oum Adam said...

As a revert I do break my fast with dates. :-) I love them!

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

OUm adam: Even for suhoor?;)

Lillian Maaita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mohamed pohlisch said...

(beef) bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese and pine nuts! Heavenly.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Mohammed: I like pastry (almost like sambusa leaves) where I stuff it with goat cheese and date... but not for suhoor... maybe iftar? So I am sure what you're suggesting would be good. But I can't digest anything date for the mornings... to me it is... weird on the tongue.