Monday, May 25, 2015

My Experience with ISIS: a message to anyone, Muslim or non-Muslim, from a Western Country

OPNO in the land-far-and away, proud and happy to wear my face veil and abaya despite discrimination from fellow country men and women,  but definitely against terrorism and murder and hate for the sake of distraction  (aka ISIS)
I always tell my Omani girlfriends who are thinking to marry a Western Muslim guy from the U.S, or Canada, or the U.K., to make sure he's been Muslim for a while first. Convert guys are mostly crazy the first three to four years. I say this, lovingly, out of the prejudice of my experience. Most of the non-ISIS  and anti-Al Q European and North-American convert guys I know will agree with me on this, because we've all heard pro-ISIS speakers in mosques in our home countries. Most of these guys have experienced someone attempting to recruit them for terrorism, or at least, have read pro-terrorism crap on Islamic chat arenas on otherwise super great Islamic-content websites. I personally find Oman's Mosques much less having pro-terrorism content than Canada's.

I mean, how many Omani guys do you know who've joined ISIS or Al Q?

I don't know any.

And I know Omani dudes who protested the Opera House. And who broke windows on one Muscat alcohol-selling establishment (owned by a Muslim). Even these guys, think ISIS is totally insane and evil.

How many Canadian and American guys do I know who've died fighting (or work in marketing terrorist ideologies) in the name of  the above crazy-ass causes in Afghanistan or Syria (and not to mention, now Iraq and Yemen)?

I personally know 7.

Seven people! Seven crazy-ass, totally misled dudes (who I think are in hell or going there since they are OK with murder).

How many Canadian and American AND Australian convert guys do I know in total?

I know only eleven guys.

I am a married Muslim woman, I don't meet many guys.

However, seven out of eleven is not really a great percentage on the "he might be a terrorist" scale.

The U.K government says they have 500 ISIS members of U.K. citizens. Canada has at least 130. I suspect there are a lot more, since a lot of terrorists, due to their crazy-ass wickedly evil terrorist plots, tend to be semi-secretive folks. Most are background players, recruiters, PR people, not suicide bombers.

So my experience with ISIS? Well, ISIS wasn't called ISIS back then...
Too stylin' to be a terrorist;). P.S. Canadian Non-Muslims aren't afraid of pink or leopard that much when choosing veil styles, that's just a tip;), it shows them you have a choice, when you mix it up with black sometimes.
A long time ago (six, what? years now) in the land far and away, I was in a little Mosque in a North American Western country. I was a female convert to Islam, but unlike many converts, I had a formal education. I could academically research something (even in a language I did not speak). Also, I had a job, with financial independence from my family (which got harder after conversion, but I managed) and my husband. As a Canadian woman, my rights to free movement, divorce, etc, were protected, regardless my religion. I also retained a very small number of pre-Islam work and personal relationships with friends and family. I guess that makes me different from most converts ISIS tried to recruit/brainwash.

I was also lucky. This little Mosque, when I first attended, had (had) a great shaykh (Islamic scholar) who was Imam and lectured (*1, see footnotes).  This Shaykh taught us Islam as something strict on ourselves, not strict on others....

...And that what many teach about Islam, is not what the Prophet Mohammed S.A.W practiced in example.

Because of this man's knowledge, and practice, and his family's practice, even ISIS crazies had little they could say against him. You could say, everyone pretended to behave themselves, while education was available for the Muslim community.

When someone asked him about fighting for  Palestine, he asked this man, about praying.

Did the questioner pray five times a day?

If so, did his family pray five times a day?

If yes, did his neighbors? Did his Muslim community?

If this, most basic pillar of Islam, also a form of jihad, could not be accomplished, what would be the point of trying topple a government and replace it with a so-called Islamic government, if even one man, or one neighborhood, could not do even the basic Islamic tenet of prayer?  Of fasting? of giving charity and providing for the poor and needy? Surely such a people would not even be able to fairly govern themselves, let alone un-Muslim others.

So he told the brother, don't ask about fighting for Allah, if you cannot even fight for your own sake before the eyes and sight of Allah.

That's not terrorist-teaching, that's anti-terrorist teaching. That's what I consider "wahabi" "salaafi" sunni Islam, not the modern version of such, but the actual. Most people mis-use the terminology. Especially Muslims. I think many Muslims, such as the Saudi government, and ISIS, do this on purpose. It divides us further than we are already divided.

Anyways, back to ISIS.

Before, when this Shaykh was around, our jihad was self-fighting. Fighting selfishness. Fighting laziness. Fighting pride. If we could not win those battles, we could not  run a Muslim government, that's for sure.

When this Imam left, he was eventually replaced by a man who supposedly beats his own wife to a pulp. Who thinks women shouldn't work (*2). Who told people Shiite Muslims should be killed. That one woman, married to a Shia, should be killed (I am assuming me too, since I married an Ibadhi man despite being Sunni). He declared people weren't Muslim (i.e they were apostatized from Islam) because they didn't follow Islam as he saw fit, i.e. women wore make-up, or worked, men who said killing Shia instead of maybe, you know, talking to them instead about Sunni Islam, was wrong and even sinful... You get the gist.

He had Shia physically thrown out of our Mosque (since killing them in Canada would mean losing his {refugee claimant} citizenship).

This was the form of Islam, I ran from. I was smart enough and well read enough (and had the financial stability to have time to study and read and make my own mind up) to know this was wrong, and not Islam at all.

Apparently, this means, I am wicked and sinful in pride, because a man must have more knowledge than I do, although, the greatest of all Muslim scholars and givers of fatwa, were Muslim women (i.e. the Prophet Mohammed's own wives and other women of the early Muslims).
Yep, that's OPNO too, but only as a joke, to write an article about the reaction of ordinary Canadians to different kinds of cultural and Islamic attire (OPNO was a member of the Canadian Women for the Women of Afghanistan Charity to Support Women's Craft Guilds and Schools in Afghanistan---these are on sale by the group along with other Afghani crafts to raise money for the charity work---OPNO never wore this kind of clothing ever lol, and her friend who lived in Peshawr brought this baby back for her.)
{Shhh, says ISIS womenfolk, you're not supposed to say that, or God forbid, compare yourself to those heavenly women not of our time period.}

Although, again, forgive me, crazy-ass ISIS folks, Allah said the Islam of the Prophet's lifetime, was the same for all time, and the Prophet's wives and even the Prophet, were mortals for a reason, to be example to us. Angels were not to deliver the message of the Qu'ran or to teach us how to live because of this. Mortal human beings were used because of this. Men and women were, of flesh and blood, with as much chance of sin, if not for the will of God/Allah.

But whatever, yeah, pretending I don't know this, and I unread what books we are supposed to say we follow...

This is the Islam of men who are so twisted and wicked and evil, that instead of dealing with their own inner demons, distract the world, with made up monsters.

Truly, the Muslim majority of the world, are Sunni. Not Shia, not Ibadhi, not Ahmadi, or anything else. So obviously, the majority of our issues, do not come from these minorities we are told we must despise and fight against.

They come from ourselves, from within our community.

The men who think they own women, who are lazy, perverted, insecure, prideful, and vain. From women, who are insecure, needy, hateful, selfish, lazy, judgmental, and prideful.

Globally, our Islamic education is lacking. Our Islamic scholarship as the whole of the Muslim world, is total utter crap, with maybe 5% contribution to Islamic thought, and less than a 11% Islamic literacy rate (I am not talking mere Arabic).  ...And 11% is probably a little high.

And even if you have the smallest trace of an Islamic education, I can assure you, as a sinner and terrible Muslim often in time, self-jihad is harder than physically picking up a gun and shooting someone or being shot or being blown up. Those things suck, but they are instant, and if you thought (wrongly) even for a second, that heaven/paradise is as easy pressing a button, pulling a trigger, you're wrong. Islam is easy, but being a Believer of Islam, is not. You can't just choose Paradise unless Allah gives it to you. Self-killing is not allowed. Murder of others not in self-defense of life and limb, is not allowed. The manner of battle in defense of life and limb, is prescribed, and the murder of non-military targets, and self, are not part of the prescription.

Self-jihad means living, trying, educating yourself, struggling against hunger, lust, greed, and power of authority, for a balance in these, as prescribed by Islam. When life is hard, dying is the easier choice. Killing, is the easier choice, than creating a patient, humble people, armed in example and knowledge who can change minds and hearts, not bend knees and break backs and splatter organs...

To non-Muslims, the recipe to fight terrorism:

Islam in the West can be hard. Muslims face isolation, discrimination, and most often, financial insecurity. Don't not hire us, because of beards, because of clothes, because of headscarves and veils. Let us show you how hard we work, how useful we can be.  Stand up against prejudice, whenever you see it, whether it be someone calling a black man a nigger, or someone telling a Muslim woman to "go to Saudi" or that "she doesn't have to wear that" in your country.

Educate yourselves about us. Sure, us women, we can't hang out with men at the personal level, shake hands, etc. and we can't drink or date (both sexes) but that doesn't mean, we can't do lunch, visit each other's homes, be friends. Most of us are totally normal non-violent people. Lack of education, isolation from family and society, financial stress due to discrimination, cause bad people to have influence on good people.

Those good people, need a place to live but don't have jobs. If those ISIS recruiters give them a home, food, and you, you make a law saying hijabis can't work etc...  It truly causes stupid but otherwise good people to be tricked down a bad path. Bad god-awful marriages for the women and their children, and a path of intense hate and possibly violence, for the men.

A useful article on how recruitment is done, and why what I outlined above is defense against terrorism (3*).

Footnotes:
(1) The Canadian government investigated this particular Imam for terrorism and recruiting "jihadis" but that was all B.S.... I should know, they also investigated me (okay, apparently American peeps in Canada doing spying did, not actually INSET, said INSET, who a former anti-IRA terrorism in U.K. expert contacted on my behalf, protesting the fact that I was being photographed, forcefully interviewed, and followed). INSET to this day, is unnerved about other people interviewing Canadian citizens and claiming to be INSET. However, INSET did interview a LOT of the Canadian Muslim convert girls, and DID sit in listening vans outside the home of the good Imam and his family and the Mosque*. Some of the girls were held against their rights, for questioning. Many will say, they felt threatened by the real INSET, to cooperate, despite none of these women feeling anything non-peaceful was going on at the time.

(2) http://howtolivelikeanomaniprincess.blogspot.com/2014/08/the-right-for-women-to-work-in-oman-and.html

(3)
http://www.ibtimes.com/isis-recruiting-westerners-how-islamic-state-goes-after-non-muslims-recent-converts-west-1680076

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine how much easier life would be without the shackles of religion, with the translations suited to the goals of the blinkered and, instead, using experience, logic, morals and common sense about things.
You wouldn't have to walk around looking like a letterbox for a start.

Anonymous said...

where specifically does it say that you can't hang out on a "personal level"with a man or shake his hand? To me (and I am aware and educated about Islam, living in Oman) that sounds like more of a wahhabi interpretation.

and, frankly, if you personally know of someone who is advocating violence and death and communicating the same, it is a duty to report them. That would be in support and possibly even defense of your homeland, canada.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anonymous #1 May 26th, 2015 at 2:49AM: Shackles, i.e. slavery, is not what we choose, but what we cannot choose, what we are forced. And Islam is a choice for many, including myself, chosen using experience, logic, and morals, and even, common sense. I wasn't born a Muslim. I didn't just wake up one day, without using my moral compass, without using logic, without studying history, without studying language and word meaning, without understanding law, without understanding manners of jurisprudence in law, and say, I guess I'll be a Muslim.

And it always is very colonial of others to infer that one's intelligence, and form of dress, and beliefs, are superior to others', without using logic and morals to say why that is so in address to such claims. Insulting how a woman chooses to dress (in my religion I don't have to, I choose to, face covering is not part of Islamic law but something between a woman and God with intention of ourity of her own heart---no one else can judge which woman has an honest intention for this or not).

Saying "look like a letter box" for something I chose and wanted to wear, is frankly, insulting to me, to my intelligence, to my freedom. If your moral code says you get to determine what another wears, well, to me that is a weaker freedom than I maintain for others'. A lesser moral, than I maintain, using my logic.

Do I go around insulting how other women of a different faith than my own choose to dress? No. Do I think I should tell women not from my own belief how to dress? No.

I think that speaks for itself.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anonymous May 26th 8:34: Sunni, Ibadhi and Shia maintain that men and women have no physical (unless of cases of medical care) or emotional contact (intellectual or societal is permitted). I also live in Oman, know many Omani Muslims, shia, sunni, ibadhi... they all have the same law on this matter. It isn't like, smoking, where they have different opinions on if it is allowed or not. I also know lots of Muslims, who don't practice Islamic law in all areas of their lives. But that doesn't change what is Islamic or not.

I could put the Arabic reference for this if you want? Basically it relates that the Prophet Mohammed (S.A.W), when he took oaths of being part of Islam, women did not shake hands with men, for this agreement/promise/oath, but men did. If Muslims do so, they are not following Islam, they are doing as they wish or is part of the culture, especially in Oman, where most are Ibadhi. Ibadhi fiqh does not allow physical contact between unrelated or a man and woman unmarried, such as shaking hands. That's just Ibadhi fiqh. Wahabi fiqh actually, writes nothing on this subject AT ALL, and writes only about the worship of tress and graves and ancestors... Please learn a little more about Islamic theory and law and history before using terminology and labels like "wahabi" or saying what "islam is" or what it doesn't allow. I know Muslims (Omani) who drink. Just because they do, doesn't mean Islam allows it, etc...

But just because we women can't shake a man's hand (aren't supposed to anyway) doesn't mean I can't work with you, share ideas with you, support you in being good and useful in society etc... It isn't actually as limiting as people make it to be... It means, on a personal level, say you are my friend from work, if my husband and I are having marriage issues, you shouldn't be my shoulder to cry on. I should seek out another friend, female, family, etc.. or someone in an advising capacity. I shouldn't depend on you emotionally or financially outside of work or society bonds. I have many such friends, we give eachother advice, but we don't discuss like sex, or if we are mad at our husband or wife or things that make men and women to close beyond such relationships... Still we help eachother, learn from eachother, contribute to eachother's hopes and dreams...

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

cont'd: About the actually important part of your comment, the RCMP in Canada (the police) and INSET are/were well aware of the crazy-ass people I mentioned, encouraging violence and hate. Why they didn't do anything, I don't know. I guess, (I will renounce my citizenship when I get my Omani passport--formally, in Canadian law, not Omani) Canada doesn't really seem to care that much what happens in countries not US or Canada... because since these violent and in-country prejudicial acts are mainly destined for Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria... and THEY DID KNOW about these people (some of us Muslims reported them for hate speech or inciting acts of terrorism) nothing was ever done. I don't know the legalities. Maybe Canada can't legally stop a crazy Canadian dude from going to Syria? Maybe Canada can't stop a hate-speaking Imam who beats his wife and advocates killing of Shia inside the country?: I have no idea. I complained. Nothing was done. I left the country: my cares now are for innocent Muslims and people in general and in prevention of such things. And to tell people, these things exist a LOT a LOT in Canada, the UK and the US. That they are coming from there.

Telling people they look like mailboxes, and that they are intellectually inferior, totally helps idiot like ISIS btw, since educated people will be mad at their governments and fellow country men for allowing that kind of prejudice to be the norm against them. If an educated person does have a moral compass, and know Islamic history, of course, that will never make ISIS right, but it will make it easier for ISIS still to recruit from people who are not financially or socially stable, and who do not have the benefit of Islamic history, fiqh and law from many sects, etc...

Omanis, unlike UAE, Saudi, Kuwait, etc, have this benefit, and this is why there is a vastly different ISIS recruitment ratio of Omanis compared to other GCC states. Canadia, American and British Muslims, don't often have this advantage/benefit, unless they obtain it through their own hard work and research, using their own finances and time.

Anonymous said...

But why do you need to cling on to religion at all? Why do you need an ancient book written by someone with no relevance to modern life to tell you what is right for you?
You can't say you are an independent person if you constantly need to refer to the ideology of a historically manipulated shaman to make a decision.
It truly astounds me that people who claim to be forward thinking base all their thoughts in the words written 1,000s of years ago.

Anonymous said...

OPNO,

I am a Muslim and my wife is Omani so I beg to differ with your interpretation. What "Islam is" can be vastly different for individuals and each can cite references that can be interpreted to suit their actions. But, you are clearly claiming to refer to it as a truth and indisputable. So, yes, please, cite the Sunnah or Hadith that specifically forbids women from engaging on a personal level, I would be interested in the best English translation of it since my Arabic is terrible. It's probably just a misuse of the word "personal" and my assumption of what that means is different than the way you intended when you wrote the post. Don't you think that the many many Omani women who shake hands with men at work or in a social setting would be upset by you inferring that they are not following Islam?

and btw, I'm not the other "anonymous" with the letterbox comment. Also, glad that you did report the hate mongers in canada, very likely something is being done but quietly at least in a monitoring context. Unfortunately, Canadian law is too forgiving for all to just kick out the dangerous idiots.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anonymous May 27th 2:06 am: Of course Islam is vastly different depending on sect, manner of fiqh etc... But when I am referring to Islam, I mean, what the Prophet did, and what the first Muslims did. Did any Muslim woman in the first generation of the Muslims shake hands with men (no, they didn't). Did the Prophet himself shakes hands with women (no, he didn't). Not even in oath-taking, when he did shake hands with men. That is indisputable unless newer texts from the time period come to surface.

That is my evidence, which basically, taken from all of Sahih Al Bukhari and Muslim and dawood and you'll find the same. Google the oath taking of Hind to the Prophet S.A.W... That's the hadith I am mentioning but better to read everything if possible. That's where all traditional madhabs have arrived at that conclusion. (It is in Omani culture for women to shake hands, and for women even to kiss the head of elderly old men unrelated to them, I know this, but that isn't Islamic practice, it is cultural Omani). I never ever found a single example of where women did it. And if the Prophet himself avoided it, we have come to avoid it. I didn't say "haram" and not something that brings one out of the "fold" of being a Muslim, the way worshipping idols is, or a grave sin, like murder... But Omani women who are literate generally know this.

And by personal, I mean romantic, or private. Many hadiths relate on this subject. For example, a unrelated man and a woman are not to be alone. There is hadith about this, where the Prophet S.A.W announced to the two men who saw him with a woman, that the woman was his wife, so they would not think anything bad of the situation. If the Prophet feared something wicked would be thought of that, then obviously that was something we were not to do. Obviously, what the women of the Sahaba allowed themselves (working, talking to men about Islam, work, family, news, etc) is not what I mean by personal in my post. I mean, I won't describe my body, I won't talk about what I find sexy, I won't talk about private issue with a spouse etc... from un-related males unless I am seeking an Imam or the law to intervene on my behalf. I won't be alone with them, except in emergencies, which goes the same and is in line with what the sahaba did. I may sound super conservative in what I am saying but anyone who knows me knows I am not extreme in my views, or actions, especially with others. I talk far far too much and on subjects many Omanis find too personal for men and women, but if the Sahaaba said it to eachother without fitnah, we can too. I didn't mean segregation of the sexes when I wrote that;). Saudi is wrong on that for sure.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anon who wants me to be an atheist (or something?): That brings us to philosophy: what constitutes knowledge?

Academically and logically speaking, knowledge is derived from a foundation of theory, that is valid until disproved by logic or science. For me, Islam is a theory that logic and science has not disproved or proven in entirety.

Emotionally and morally speaking (and this is me, not a community) knowledge should feel right, not be something that is questionable, that goes against my humanity, my ideals... Unless it is hard truth, something eternal, something that doesn't change no matter who brought it, when it came, if it was late, or early...

I personally would be almost the same person without Islam. I always believed in the ideals of Islam, somewhere inside me. That original sin is not feminine, that children are born innocent, that bloodlines and races are not divine, that there is a weight to a soul, to a life, beyond the body and electricity of the brain and nerves... So I use a very old book (and other very books) as references to support my theory? I don't think that is wrong or backwards or illogical (or immoral).

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

other very old*

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

I'm not against new books either;)

StylishMuslimah said...

Pixie: Great post! I do have to say though, most of the 'Muslims' that went to join ISIS were either in good jobs or in education still. I do not think that this a matter of people being unemployed so they decide travelling thousands of miles to go and behead people is their only option..

Anyway, I still read this blog all the time, it's a shame you don't post on your other one anymore though! I remember reading Beautiful Muslimah, it was actually one of the reasons I ended up putting on the hijab in the first place :o)

Lots of love, Z xx

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Stylish M: Cute Speedy btw;).

ALLL ALL the guys I knew couldn't afford to get married. That's why they joined ISIS I guess. They couldn't get real jobs, even they had an education. They wanted to feel "superior" to others even they were treated as less in their home countries (mostly Canada). I am sure, others', it comes from isolation from Islamic education. Like my masjid. If I just converted today, I'd be learning something very different than what I learned under a decent scholar who let us read even Shia books... right? The girls I know who seem pro-ISIS, all have an education but limited Islamic education, definitely social isolation, and next to none to them have jobs of any kind unless it was childcare or teaching in a masjid school. All of them, wear niqab of course, so I know for sure,;) wearing niqab means not working almost 80% of the time, and being socially isolated from other cultures and a lot of other Muslims even.

That helps me to not wanna, ya know, murder you;) lol. I also learnt that a lot of what they said were bida is misinterpretation---sometimes a long both sides.... so when it came to shirk, it was not a matter determinable beyond cutting open someone's heart... which, the Prophet S.A.W told Ali, R.A., no one can do.


Oh really? That' super high praise for the old BM... I don't write there anymore because I feel like I said all I could about hijab, and at the time, I stopped caring about fashion (I go through phases) and I didn't want people to think of me as a rolemodel (or accuse me of that) because we all know I suck;) as a human being and a Muslim more than 80% percent of the time. Maybe 98%;). Plus, here it is mostly more anonymous. Not every post is mine, and not everyone who reads it cares about my personal business. Which is sooooooooooooo nice:).

Sorry when you came to Oman I didn't even know you were here. I think another of our blog's writers read your email. She thought you were this other girl who hates me lol.

StylishMuslimah said...

Thanks I love the Speedy bags!

Wait what email?! I've never been to Oman..

Carola said...

In every religion you have this fanatics groups making crazy and violent interpretations of what they call the truth. I'm Catholic, with a very high tolerance you can say cause I have friends of every religion you can think off ,mostly cause the differences are the best part of friendship but we always agree on what you say : newly converts on every religious groups are the craziest , the easiest to corrupt and it's sad , it's. Just plain evil to manipulate people in what they hope to be their salvation , to manipulate their everyday situation to turn it into a hate-murder-suicide crazy persona , the options are endless if you want to show the world your vision you need to open hearts and not running around beheading people just for the sake of it.
A big hug again from this curious persona.... Can't. Stop lurking in your blog ��������������

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Stylish M: That's so funny then. They definately said in the email this is Zaenab from Stylish Muslimah (that was over five months ago now, I'd just had a baby so I was out of blogging);).

That would be funny if I'd met someone pretending to be you, and taken them on a tour of Oman lol.

Yeah, I like that you like LV, not because everyone liked LV, like everyone was liking Birkens, etc.... I HATE people buying very expensive stuff that they don't actually love ;). Me, I like Birkens for practicality of what they fit, and LVs for suitcases, but I am forever a Chanel 2.55 girl. Like my grandmother;)

Carola:

StylishMuslimah said...

Wait WHAT??!!! Oh my gosh what email was this sent from?! If you still have it can you forward it to me? That's insaneeee. I've literally never been to Oman or sent any email to you! Wooow..

Ah I love the Chanel flap bags but LV is definitely my true love :D

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

I will in a couple days, StylishM, when I am back in Canada and have a lot of alot of time on my laptop. Our blog email has millions of msgs due to spam so it may take me time to find it) but that is so weird... people pretend to be me to, but usually to cause drama not for meeting up lol.

Carola my comment to you didn't post, weird. I agree. I heard people, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Hindu, all say it is ok to murder people or hurt those not exactly the "same" as one, rather than speak and teach and pray for them, and these people always take advantage of new converts. It is almost heartbreaking how easy it is for them.... God protect us all from evil, amin.

Carola said...

Amen.
(Internet didn't want to let us chat uh? Hhhh)