Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Omani Men's Fashion (and women's gold) from a Bridal Mag.

I love bishts. And swords. Serriously, I wish men went around wearing their mussayrs, and bishts, and carrying swords and belted that whole look off with khanjars every day. Swords are awesome!
So I got invited a bunch of stuff in UAE for brides (which is weird, because I am against the whole white rented gown/hall affair despite my love of dancing and dressing up). However, I love magazines. All magazines. Want to give me free magazines? I will always take them.

So while I found the majority of the Omani wedding dresses to be beyond ugly (at least the ones advertised) and the makeup to be even scarier, and the hair, like Prom gone wild, the men's fashion was a little interesting. And some of the photoshoots (even though the model was Russian) featuring Arabian decor of the noblesse, were so nice that I didn't care about weddings or gowns or models or makeup at all.

On to the men's fashion:
 My husband is kind of a traditional Omani guy when it comes to clothes. He likes white, brown, beige, cream, navy and grey. He doesn't get into that whole coloured farakha (tassel) thing, and most of his kuma and mussayr are neutrals or not embroidered outlandishly kashmiri-style. And I think he's only worn his bisht for graduations and getting married... But he has sword for Eid, and wears a khanjar occasionally, and the whole bullet belt thing, and the assa stick, and I really like it. That's more a formal dress thing for Omani men though, weddings, funerals, wasta-people (or AWESOME BEDOUINS!). Above, the beige and gold robe worn over the white dishdasha is called a bisht. Now, I like this look (above) as it is a little more traditional and the unvarnished colour of the wood on the sword (saif) and dagger (khanjar) matches impeccably. Very natural. Very suave.
This look, also nice (Dhofari mussayr, nice colour on the assa [stick] finish, matches the watch, and beautiful detailing on the belt for the bullets.
Coloured farakhas [tassels]? Look good on some guys, not on others. This look is more trendy, younger, more expressive, but to me, it's less confident I guess because it is over confident? I don't like the white finish on the sword, and though the striped and tasselled musayr is definately very cool (and if you are already going with a coloured farakha, why not?).

This is kind of a rambling post... Below, some more modern take on the traditional Omani woman's gold so often formally presented as a wedding dowry:

I love the rings (but I am a silver girl), one for each finger of the hand

4 comments:

Kstylick said...

Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on

Bloglovin, GFC or Facebook?

Please leave a comment on my blog and follow by blog!

http://kstylick.blogspot.com

You can also like my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Kstylick

I will follow you back! XOXO

Korean Fashion

Albie said...

Very interesting designs! I liked seeing the gold designs for a woman's maher. The ones I have seen in Lebanon are vastly different, so it is an interesting contrast.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Kstylick: I don't follow many blogs but thanks for reading!

Albie: Ooooh do a post on your blog about Lebnani maher, I'd find it interesting.

Sal Bos said...

salam alaikum
Is gold still a large part of the wedding gift to brides?