Sunday, September 21, 2014

HOUSE UPDATE HORRORS: why I don't go into business with relatives

Thankfully, I don't have to deal with this, but my SIL {sister-in-law} just had her foundation collapse. The foundation for her dream home. She's dealing with a contractor that she'd love to fire, but of course can't, because "we're Omani ya'll" and her contractor is our relative.

Of course, her engineer TOLD HER this would happen, but our cousin/nephew/what-have-you/her contractor knew better.

"Ma mishkila" to do it differently than the 30-years experienced engineer whose done some lovely things like Chedi-style infinity pools and 'my-gosh that's fine' examples of government architecture informed her. Until it was a "mishkila".

Since the house is practically a palace (compared to my humble townhouse-style abode to-be) it will be so sad to see all that marble and mouldings and fabulous furniture overshadowed by bad wiring, cracking walls, and 12 toilets out of 18 that never work...

But they can afford the finest bukhoor {that's Arabic for insence} ya'll, so they can't possibly fire the humble relative contractor now can they? Even if stinking bathrooms that require buckets for flushing will be the result...







5 comments:

yasmine said...

Hope it works out for her Inshallah.that's a real shame.looking forward to see how your house building experience goes.Inshallah only with a few hiccups.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

yasmine: Thank you so much for your best wishes for us both:)

Soukna said...

For your house have you considered a rooftop terrace/garden. I am not sure how feasible it is with the weather there. It does kind of expand yard space

I am so enjoying your house updates. I am in progress myself. I hope I have the patience

What does mishkila mean ?:)

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

Ya Allah maskina how terrible i hope it all works out for her in the end.

Now she has a vaild reason to NOT listen to her family members and build the house of her dreams.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Soukna: Mishkila means problem.

Mayya: If only that WERE a valid problem for them:( :( :(