Monday, June 9, 2014

Accessorizing the abaya: necklaces

I have recently become obsessed with accessorizing once again. Back in the land-far-and-away... when the only abayas we could buy came from online, and the only quality fabric one could truly trust an abaya to come in was in a shade of black... handbags, earrings, and statement cocktail rings were my thing. I have toned it down since moving here (no colourful abaya with colourful accessories or Omani inlaws might talk) and I have successfully scaled back on designer handbags (a lower income totally helps;p)... as husband has forced me to buy better quality shoes (I am not a shoe person)...

But I have started obsessing on necklaces this year. The two pictured were so cheap---from, like, forever21, but I think they look super chic. What do you think?: aye or nay to necklaces popping out of the fold between the shayla and abaya?

7 comments:

Freddie said...

YAY :)

Abayas are soooo boring when just plain black

Muslimah Delights said...

Aye. I also like how you've accustomed your nails to your necklaces ;)

Zaynab said...

I think the necklace peeking out of the shayla look is a good way to wear jewellry without it being too much. Wearing the necklace over top looks pretty awkward.

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Freddie: I like them sometimes, easy... mysterious... exotic... architectural, powerful....

But too much of anything gets D-U-L-L

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Muslimah Delight: lol, my two shades of peel-off nailpolish.... I totally just love turquoise and coral anything.... Wish i could find peel-off black polish howevever... I love black nails with a black abaya;)

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Zaynab: Techinically;) I am wearing the necklace overtop, but I wear two shaylas, in order to get chest coverage and still maintain I stylish wrap, so it works without being, all, erg, turtle-ish?

Zaynab said...

Architectural! Yes, that's it. I prefer plain black abayas that distinguish themselves by their cut and black trims and embellishment (I think a lot of people do), but even I want to add some colour sometimes.

Yes that's what I mean, the necklace isn't just plunked over top like you're at Mardi Gras like they do in Jordan ;)