Thursday, February 6, 2014

OOTD+abaya: fishing for compliments

Okay, so I knew when I bought it, this abaya would be trouble. It gets caught on the zipper of my purse, tangled in my daughter's hair, and every thorn bush and office chair in Oman already has it in for my abayas. So of course, a laser-cut arabesque design is just asking to be snagged and torn. However, beauty has its consequences, and I was hooked, and so it became mine. I call it my "fishing for compliments" look for casual occasions. My father calls it "why on earth would you wear that to the beach---you're going to ruin it" abaya. But I wore it to the beach today in Seeb, and yeah, it still hangs in my closet, despite a run in with puppies and some fishing line.
I like to wear it with an oversized (because I carry not just my own life, but three other people's in my handbag: my daughter's diapers +toys, my husband's keys that he isn't aware yet that he's lost again, and binders of stuff my boss wants me to read) handbag in a salmon shade.
My shoes, which M calls my "fairytale" shoes, are what I call my "fishy shoes", since they are as silver as fishscales, and cost only 3 OMR so I can wear them to the beach or the stinky old fish souq;). In case one is curious, the abaya is from "pretty" in Al Bahja Mall 52 OMR, the handbag is Susen 12 OMR, and the shoes are from Rameez. I already told you the price, in case someone can't read and asks. Jewelry is a gift from my sister.
All photos were taken along Seeb Corniche, Muscat region, Sultanate of Oman, with a very cheap super-crappy cellphone camera (surrounded by loving family whom I shall miss, and true friends) to annoy my rather-offended-by-that anonymous hater;P :). I hope all those people out there not filled with jealousy, hate, spite, or other crap, have a beautiful, lovely weekend, filled with sunshine, friends, family, and whatever else your heart desires. Peace out. Love from this particular OPNO contributer.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice abaya mashallah. But when you wear kimono sleeves does it close to not expose your arm or you dont mind? Jc ^_^

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

Anonymous 06FEB14 10:36 am: Thank you. I have ten abayas in my closet right now, and all are wide sleeves but two. #1: that is the style in right now in Muscat and I don't try to stand out too much as I already talk too loud, #2 I find wide sleeve more modest since my chest size---it evens out my shape to what men won't look atm #3 it is sooooo hot here usually so wider just breathes better....


;) and the real answer to your question is... All my abayas that are wide sleeve cut (this one isn't kimono just wide) have snaps at the wrists inside to the exact measurement of my wrists. If I am going out somewhere where I am not around all women or my maharams, (as I was at the beach when these photos were taken and the snaps were not closes)then I simply fasten the snaps, and the sleeve still looks wide, but it is closed. I have only one wide sleeve I think without snaps (the linen one posted a while back) and a solution I use for riding up sleeves with that if I have to lift my arms ect... if to just catch the sleeve with a cuff bracelet.

But yeah, I see one photo in there, where I am modeling a gift from my sister, where the tik tiks (Omani for "snaps") could have been done up for better hijab. I don't believe in showing my arms or my chest or my hair, but if it happens on accident, and isn't a styling choice, or a daily happenstance once is aware of but does nothing about, then I am all good with it. I have never thought arm guards ect,,, or gloves were required.... though I do respect the women who do believe that.

naseehah said...

loving the abaya mashallah :o)

Valerie Serag said...

Mashallah what a beautiful Ababya is it light pink or beige? I cant tell from the pictures. I love the bag as I always carry big bags with me for the same reason, dont know how moms handle going out with these small fancy bags. Are u the Ilovehishma-girl? ;)

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

naseehah: Thank you as always for your comemtn;)

Valeria Serag: The abaya is a peachy-pink, best shown to accuracy in the light in the first photo. The sun washes it out. It is silk satin so afternoon sunshine bleach it to the pink.

I have little bags too, but then, that's when I purposefully shirking something I should be doing;XD

To the last question, maybe;).

Omani Princess (not Omani...yet) said...

*Valerie

Abu Alee said...

incesssaudi.blogspot.com/

what is ur view and advice