Monday, May 2, 2011

Stay in a Traditional Omani House this Summer for Only 12 OMR a night!

While most people check out the summer rates and check in at the Chedi, Shangrila,and Al Bustan over the next few months, I found a deal and a place that the most seasoned of expats and travel buffs likely haven't heard about and is definately worth experiencing. This summer, leave the Muscat heat and chill in cool beauty of the Jabal Shams mountain range with accomodation in a traditional Omani house for only 12 Omani rial a night, and that includes breakfast! Only 15 rial for a dinner, and a traditional Omani lunch is served daily, priced 3 rial per person. The bed and breakfast is based in Misfah Al Abriyan, a village with a 2000 year old history, 500 year old mud and rock hewn houses, a working and impressive falaj irrigation system, lush oasis greenery, an independent center of agriculture, seasonal handicrafts and traditional life, crowned with its own fort. I've blogged about it before. Worth seeing, but I didn't know one could stay there, as the Interior lacks hotels. If one stays in Misfah there is so much to do outside the hotel doors...

...Hiking, donkey caravan through the mountain to other traditional villages not on any road map, rock climbing, caving (for example, the very famous Hoota cave), camping, wadi swimming, shopping and buying local crafts specific to the region, such as the blankets woven on Jabal Shams, and of course, Omani food. Right by is also the historic red mud houses of Al Hamra with the tourist attraction museum of Safa House, and Bahla Castle and Souq (famous for its pottery) are just a short drive away, as well as the must-sees of Nizwa souq & fort and Jabrin Castle. You see why this hotel is so much more appealing to me than another weekend in Muscat? Also, the hotel comes equipped with things that are hard to come by in the Interior unless you have friends living and working there: hotel rooms with showers equipped with fresh towels, soaps, and shampoo, and real toilets. With guess what? Toilet paper! Yay. I HATE the squatter ones, I don't care if they are traditional or not.The hotel is family run and operated by a respected Misfah family (who speak good English and a few other languages) and hotel reservations, directions, and additional sightseeing itinerary (such as treks, climbing, and caving) can be booked attained by calling (968) 92800120.I usually end up doing day treks and driving all the long road from Muscat to Nizwa to get to the interior so it would be more relaxing (and at that price) so see it all and pace myself. What do you think? Interesting or no? For hotel bookings or directions in English or Arabic call (968) 92800120

Anyone else have some hotel finds in Oman that you can't find on the net or government websites?

16 comments:

Boxie said...

looks like a wonderful place mashallah!

Noor said...

wow mashAllah I WOULD love to stay there. I have wanted to come to Oman for so long. Its amazing mashAllah. I have a friend here in Saudi that used to live there her family still does and wow I would love to go there.

♥hind♥ said...

Im totally interested .... mashallah so beautiful

Umm Aaminah said...

I want to live in a home like that!!! I love the rustic look; so calming to me. :-)

♥ααℓiα♥ said...

I've been to the Interior and it's absolutely amazing -- I would totally go this place!! Hmmm me and S. just might have to check it out inshaaAllah when we come back!!

Secret Salalah said...

Fascinating find.. and a great escape from the summer heat. Thank you for sharing this gem!

Olga K. said...

Wow!!! This is fantastic!!!! Do you have directions? Or a phone number to book? I would absolutely head there this month! Its gorgeous! Thanks for this post!

Nadia said...

Does it have a name? A website (I wish)?

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Boxie: InshaAllah we can show you around MOP's house, which is the same kind of traditional house.

Noor: I love it here:)

Hind: I love this area of Oman. They usually don't get a large English or Arab tourist crowd, usually French and Germans and Austrians, lol, so I thought I'd get the word out after finding it through a French website.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Umm Aaminah: MOP has a traditional house like this and we aim to repair it. Right now can't afford to though. It costs about 15-20000 OMR to do so, depending if you need electricity, repairs, new washrooms, and a modern kitchen. If you visit we'll give you a good tour:)

Aalia: let me know before you do come and I'll help you arrange a very authentic trip to the interior. ;D

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Secret Salalah: No prob. Let me know about any Salalah deals;D

Olga K: It's hard for me to give directions but it the road straight up the mountain from the Al Hamra R/A to Misfah Al Abriyan, and if you call the hotel, or ask anyone from Misfah for directions: "wain al foon-dook?" is how to say it, they should show you, that's how I found it. But if you get lost and call the hotel someone from the family usually comes down from the hotel and leads the way.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Nadia: They just call it the "guest house" though I think they do plan to change the name someday since the Government has plans to make more of the traditional houses in Misfah into tourist attractions one day after the restoration period [which hasn't started yet???]. There is no website that I know of but alot of French tourists have reviewed the place on french language websites about Oman.

To book for caving or guided treks to mountain villages& wadis, or camping on jabal shams one can phone Yaqoob @ (968) 92800120 and to make hotel bookings in either Arabic or English or for directions, Mohamed at (968) 96206010

Anonymous said...

Great post.....there is a wonderful house in Muscat on the beach of Haramel.They sometimes offer double room with Arabic majliss and wonderful bathroom for 100 rials a night....ok this is the other end of the scale, but for a retreat from a hectic city life , aniversary or end of vacation/start of vacation indulgence... this place has the wow factor and is the real deal.It is the home of an Omani artist. tel ++968 99337045 .

Mishkak said...

How you found out about Haramel ?This guy is MR DISCREEEEET. He rents out The Whale Room majlis along with The Yemeni Bedroom and a wonderful bathroom ( with lovely water pressure !!!) He will email you pictures if you make serious enquiries. It is a magical location in touch with the real Oman,,,,,,,without the need to travel 3 hours in a 4x4 to reach it. It is 5 min drive from the Sultan's Palace in Muscat.Enjoy....I did and will again.

Anonymous said...

The Haramel dude is awsome. I sent my mum because she is too old for long road trips in search of authentic Omani village life.She did not want to leave. The bathrooms have Hermes towels and La Prairie toiletries. Now she gives me a hard time about upgrading OUR linen !?!The house is an excentric mix of old and contempory put together with flare and fun.Well worth a visit

Unknown said...

how can I get in contact ?