Sunday, February 6, 2011

tales from the tarmac: decorating like a [Western] Omani

This is my own tales from the tarmac story. Even after knowing all I do about Omani history and culture, sometimes it still happens, that some ridiculous supposition reveals how little I really understand in the end:

MOP: "Habibti, what are you doing?"

[OPNO is hanging a broom made from date palm leaves on a wall in her home like an ornament.]

OPNO: "It's like a cute Omani cultural decoration." [She smiles at him, knowing MOP loves anything from his own culture that she had adopted as her own.]

[MOP shakes his head.]: "In Omani culture we don't hang dirty old brooms on the wall as art."

OPNO: "This one is clean. I bought it for a rial."

MOP: "I could buy six of those for 1 rial." [OPNO too, does indeed get ripped off.]

OPNO: "You don't like it?"

[MOP demonstrates his point, taking the dust brush and mop from OPNO's laundry room in hand]: "Say I am making a traditional American house. I am taking this broom and mop as part of your American culture. I nail the broom to the wall, and hang the mop from a peg. Is this what you would do in your country to decorate. Cuz I've never seen it in 'Architectural Digest'?"

[OPNO regards the ridiculous mop hanging from the wall by MOP's hand. There is a mop hanging from the wall like a framed photograph. She immediately feels very stupid. The two laugh. End of cute story, moral being, don't hang cleaning objects on your walls and call it an Omani traditional;p]

10 comments:

Boxie said...

mushallah that really is a cute story

Anonymous said...

MOP is truly a smart man! LOL!! sf

Mr. Steve said...

Mrs M hangs carpets on our walls.

Umm Aaminah said...

Hahahaha sis, so funny! I NEVER, wallah, never thought of it like that!

I was talking to A the other day about moving back to Tunisia now that ben Ali is gone! and I was having daydreams about decorating.

I said, "blah blah blah and I'd like to get some of that traditional pottery and hang on the wall" and A just looks at me and says,

"Habiba, we use those for food, not for decorations" and looks at me as if I've gone a little batty.

ma salaama sis

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Boxie: That's cuz MOP & OPNO as so gosh darn cute right;p????

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Sf: Yep, he so totally is. Unless it comes to medicine. Then you don't want him ANYWHERE near you.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Steve: MOP would totally be okay with that. The beduoin do it in the areeshes [structure made from date leave fronds] so I bet it wouldn't bug him like brooms lol.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Umm Aminah: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! MashaAllah that is co cute.

I did the same with these pottery vases used for keeping water cool. I said to MOP, I want to buy this and hang it on the wall and put a potted flower inside.

He was like, um, luv, we put water in those.

So I guess that is like hanging tupperware and a thermos on the wall lol.

Boxie said...

Yes you two are :P

tada said...

Hi , just stumbled upon your blog, This is just too funny when it's put that way it just seems wrong, like hanging a hoover. I use to live in Oman and brought those lovely waterclay pots and they are hung as decoration on my wall and whenever guest come over they Oooh and Ahh at how artistic it is displayed. I suppose it is acceptable WALL ART anywhere else except from where it originates :D
by the way great blog!