Thursday, December 9, 2010

I was attacked by my sister-in-law: not really

SIL: "Did you sleep this afternoon?"

OPNO: "Yes [then mumbles very quickly], after I climbed the mountain there." [flicks her finger over her shoulder dismissively. It is a VERY small mountain]. [Blinks her eyelashes innocently at SIL].
SIL [eyes wide]: "You seem so young to me."

[This is because OPNO does things Omani women do as little girls, like climb trees and mountains, running around with barefeet and laughing at anything that is funny. In fact, OPNO seems much older to herself, than SIL, because she has lived on her own for many years, and she finds it in no way scary to be alone when at home, or out and about shopping].

OPNO has decided that the way to fit into her new family is to be a little girl at heart, because then her behaviour is forgiven easily. For one thing, she has NO IDEA what to do with long hair. Really, she always cut her hair short, and only grew it long because there was no hairdresser for her to cut it at back in the West where men would not see her hair.So, it had kinda grown into a mess. OPNO almost had dreadlocks. So SIL, like OPNO was her baby sis, patiently slathered it in olive oil and combed it, through which OPNO cried and bit her inner cheek, and screamed. When finished, she was lectured about how Gulf women care for their hair, and the importance of buying olive oil conditioner from Careefoure was stressed.

OPNO endorses the olive oil because it TOTALLY works.

8 comments:

UmmKhaled said...

Ohhh Dr. OZ endorses oilve oil in the hair toooo! So anything Dr Oz says we must follow :)

Anonymous said...

if you don't mind me asking-how long is your hair? almost-dreadlocks are pretty serious! and yes, olive oil works wonders. i use jojoba oil in my hair, works like a dream.

Boxie said...

i like olive oil for cooking :P, and btw cool about your sil helping you out.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

UmmKhaled: I find Dr. Oz kinda creepy. I have NO IDEA why lol.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Anonymous: LOL, my hair is too long for me, but not long enough for the Gulf;)

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Boxie: My SIL is beyond sweet. You will love her. I do.

Misadventures in HR said...

Living in the GCC has taken a serious toll on my hair. My hair feels like straw and breaks easily. One trick that has helped me is to mix 1 part oil (I usually use coconut oil) with 4 parts restorative conditioner. Slather it all over your scalp and comb it through your hair. Wrap your hair in plastic wrap and a bath towel and leave it in for at least an hour (sometimes I do this overnight). Use a clarifying shampoo to rinse so your hair isn't greasy. The mixture looks like curdled milk but it's really easy for your hair to absorb.

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

MHR [I'd call you MA, but I already have one MA;]: That's cuz of the heat, the humidity, and the high mineral/metals what-have-you in the water, making it heavy. Coconut is soooooooooo perfect if you aren't prone to dandruff for hair fall. So is real henna since it makes the hair shaft thicker (opposite of what heat does). Using baby shampoo form Johnson and Johnson also.

Alhamdulillah, hair fall I haven't been getting but Boxie did when she was in Oman. I have a tough skull. But lol, I hadn't REALLY brushed my hair all the way through in one year lol, until my SIL was brave enough to try and fix it for me.