Thursday, August 26, 2010

Style Issue: Hijab and Harem Pants

I am an abaya girl. I LOVE abaya/jilbab, modest/loose fitting clothing [in public]. And I am adverse for Islamic reasons to skinny jeans being worn by Muslim women in public (I am a prude, lol, SO what;p!!!!!) so I am ACTUALLY very relieved about Harem pants being a trend. While it CAN be horrible, some women make it work. I will never wear it out myself and call it "hijab" but for young girls, I am so happy to see it instead of skinnies: I know Ange from her wonderful Muslim woman's fashion blog Hegab Rehab will object of course, quoting the following attrocities as reasons not to tote the look:
To not make it look completely horrifying, pair gladiator sandals, and a loose flowy (but not cocoon shaped or bulbous) top that matches your headscarf colour.

4 comments:

IamSilla said...

i think it will look nice to those who r tall.

Sakeenah said...

i hate harem pants but i hate skinny jeans with hijab more, what am i saying i hate pants in general.....*looks down and realizes im wearing im wearing my husbands sweatpants*.. ITS COLD OK?!

Umm Ibrahim said...

I agree 100%...THOU U do have to be thin to pull of the harem pants otherwise...blah...but yah, id rather see those on girls than skinnies. I do wear skinnies though...yes and even when out...but, ONLY under a abaya cuz I like how they fit under them...but without an abaya...eeks no...def would be considered like nekkid.

Im waiting for the skinnies as hejab trend to END! dear God...

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

IAMSILLA: I am short and they look good on me;) I think it is more "slim".

SAKEENAH: LOL @ my husband's pants.

UM IBRAHIM: ME too! Skinnies DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE! Especially on bootylicious sistas lol. Some of the slim asian girls to be honest don't look bad but stillllllllll.