Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rant: Omani Perfume

Once I was walking down the beach in Shatti. I could litterally smell one woman from a MILE AWAY down the beach. Abaya (check). Niqab (check). Good hijab/Muslim modesty? Not really. She was like Cleopatra with her scented barges. Every man on that beach would remember what she smelt like as if they had intamitely kissed her neck or smelt her hair. That's kinda a personal thing, and is lovely between a man and wife. Why would you wanna sacrifice those small little beauties I wonder?

Ah, well, guess I am an old fashioned-prude, yes Mama.

But, from an Islamic standpoint:

Muslim women aren't supposed to wear any perfume that a man who is not related to one can smell. Alot of Omani women don't seem to know or care about this. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it kinda does. The Prophet sallalahu alhi wa salaam told us to take care in this, as women. Allahu alim.

8 comments:

Umm Qahtan said...

MashaAllah..its nice to know my sisters in islam do care about their islamic hijab.
it bothers u and alot of us because when Allah tells us to do something its not a choice its a fard.. i get soo angry when i see made up caked faces and then bakhoored women in public..i feel telling them to go home and get a dish cloth to clean themselves.

Alhamdulillah for the passion in ur heart bout islamic dress and fearing Allah.

xox

Anonymous said...

LOL.. You don't wear perfume? :S
The muslim women you're talking about are extremists. they don't watch T.V, nor do they listen to music..They remember God day and night.. In other words, they don't enjoy life.. Well, perfume does attract guys, so what? It's a way to feel good about yourself.. Just don't spray alot :P Also, this "rule" isn't even mentioned in the Quran. :P

PhantomX

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Umm Qahtan: When it comes to my hijab, I care about myself first and foremost of course, lol, cuz my religion is between me and Allah, but I wonder if women hear know the hadith?

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Phantom: I don't wear perfume in public. I am a woman of many contradictions, as you know by this blog;p. I believe in beauty and enjoying life, and living in the moment, utterly, because it is a gift from Allah. Nothing is wrong remembering your Creator day and night in that is there? To know every moment is a gift not be wasted, every oppurtunity to make something less lovely more so?

I am an idealist, not an extremist:p.

And the Qu'ran does say so, for it says whatever the Prophet Mohamed gives you, take it, and what he forbids you, abstain from it:D

So he forbid us to wear perfume in a way which might be smelt by men we are not closely intimate with, and who deserve that intimacy.

Doesn't mean you can't wear it at all, never said that. But Cleopatra scented her barges with it for a reason;) ;) if you get my drift.

Anonymous said...

And that is why i love to comment :P

PhantomX

Anonymous said...

I love perfume though I wouldn't want the whole world to know am wearing some! I love scents depending on the weather/seasons. I also am a big lover of bukhoor, the oud, natural one that when burnt produces its on natural oils. The other ones that are scented I use them for my clothes and home. sf

Omani Princess (not Omani LOL) said...

Sf: I believe it is fine to wear perfume that no man could smell who wasn't close enough to be holding you;p

Anonymous said...

Most people just don't know about the hadith, actually. It's ignorance, not disobedience or denial.